Some hints to read before you start tatting.
- This tree can be worn as a holiday pin or put on your tree for a miniature ornament.
If you want to add beads to the picots that join the rings but don't have a small crochet hook, here's how to attach the beads using a beading needle: Slip 1 bead on the threaded needle, put the needle through the picot, then up through the bead. Carefully slide the threaded needle out. Using a hook join the rings. The bead is not sewn on the picot, it is just slid on it.
To make it easier to put a bead on the picot make the picots 1/4" long.
|ch - chain||p - picot||hs - half stitch||ds - double stitch|
|cl - close||rw - reverse work||sep - separate|
Fill the shuttle but don't cut the ball thread.
1. first ring - 4 ds, p, 2 ds, p, 2 ds, p, 2ds, p, 2 ds, p, 4ds, cl. RW.
2. ch 4, p, ch 3. RW.
3. second ring - 4 ds, join to last p of first ring, 2 ds, p, 1 ds, p, 1 ds, p, 2 ds, p, 3 ds, cl. RW.
4. ch 3, p, ch 2. RW
5. third ring - 3 ds, join to the last p of second ring, 1ds, p, 1 ds, p, 1 ds, p, 1 ds, p, 2 ds, cl. RW
6. ch 2. RW
7. ring at top of tree, fourth ring - 2 ds, join to last p of third ring, 1 ds, p, 1 ds, p, 1 ds, p, 1 ds, p, 2 ds, cl. RW
8. ch 2. RW
9. fifth ring - 2 ds, join to the last p of fourth ring, 1 ds, p, 1 ds, p, 1 ds, p, 1 ds, p, 3 ds, cl. RW
10. ch 2, p, ch 3. RW
11. sixth ring - 3 ds, join to last p of fifth ring, 2 ds, p, 1 ds, p, 1 ds, p, 2 ds, p, 4 ds, cl. RW.
12. ch 3, p, ch 4. RW.
13. seventh ring - 4 ds, join to last p of sixth, 2 ds, p, 2 ds, p, 2ds, p, 2 ds, p, 4 ds, cl. RW.
14. ch 2ds, p, 2 ds, p, 3 ds, p, 3 ds, p, 2 ds, p, 2ds.
Cut off the ball and shuttle threads leaving long enough tails to tie it to the bottom of the first ring.
Add a little glue to the knot. When it's dry cut off the ends.
Finishing the Pin
1. If you want to stiffen your tatting but don't have starch, mix 1 teaspoon of glue with 2 tablespoons of warm water. Stir until mixed very well. Dip your finished tatting into the glue mixture. Blot dry and lay flat to finish air drying.
2. Sew the pin to the back of the tatting using the same cebelia thread. Make a bow from the ribbon and glue or sew it to the front.
All done! I hope you'll enjoy making and wearing these pins. If you leave the pin back off them and add a string loop you'll have a Christmas tree ornament.
Tuck them in greeting cards. They do make great gifts!